Mel has spent her career building and leading high performing teams, with a deep commitment to creating positive culture change through sports. This work includes her 17 years at Nike, driving international businesses across running, women’s, soccer/football and training. She worked on all of Nike’s digital sports and tracking products, advised their new business incubator Valiant Labs, and was most recently vice president and general manager for Nike Skateboarding.
She co-founded NEXT VENTŪRES in 2019 with Lance Armstrong, inspired by the potential for new businesses to innovate quickly in the sports, health and wellness space.
“Part of our mission at NEXT VENTŪRES is about creating access: Access to the knowledge and innovation that can help people live healthier lives. By seeking and supporting the next generation of outstanding brands in the space of sports, health and wellness, we can play a role in creating positive change for society. This goal sounds audacious and perhaps unattainable, and that challenge is exactly what fuels us. We know we are building the team and the portfolio that can have a positive impact on the world.” – Mel Strong
“We are building the team and the portfolio that can have a positive impact on the world. ”
Her mission is to seek out founders similarly motivated to create access to the products, technologies and services that can help anyone live a healthier life. She sits on the boards of performance brand Amp Human, Women in Sports Tech and Outdoor Afro, and is a strategic advisor for the mobile photography app VSCO. She also runs a mountain bike tour guiding company with her husband in Hood River, Oregon.
- WiST: Challenging the Comfort Zone: How a Sports Tech Investor is Tackling Race and Gender Bias
- Momentous Podcast Ep 71: Melanie Strong, Managing Partner at NEXT VENTŪRES
- The Venture Podcast: Optimizing Human Performance
- SportsTechFeed: Investment trends in sports, fitness and health tech with Melanie Strong
- Format One: What’s NEXT in Sports, Health and Wellness?
- VC Sports: Investing for the Next Normal
- BusinessWire: NEXT VENTŪRES Announces Former Nike Executive as Managing Partner